Thursday, August 19, 2010

Temple for Emperor Hirohito Built in Pearl Harbor

On a tropical cliff overlooking the blue waters of Oahu's Pearl Harbor, a private land owner has created a temple for praise and prayer in memorial of the Japanese Emperor. The plaque laid at the entrance to the temple reads, in part, "it is our prayer that through embracing traditional Japanese culture, the people of this land can embrace the wisdom of our actions". The picture of the temple is seen, left.

The opening ceremonies of the new temple drew crowds in the hundreds, all of whom were given the Imperial Japanese flag of the rising sun to wave proudly in triumph of the unveiling.

While I support the right of private land owners to build places of worship and prayer, or to handle their property however they see fit, I have to question the intent and logic behind their actions. Clearly, in this case, the temple of Hirohito overlooks the graveyard of thousands of sailors, some of whom remain entombed in the Arizona. Why, I am wondering, would a private religious or other group raise a shrine of celebration overlooking a tomb made possible by the very man the shrine celebrates? How is it possible to see this shrine as anything other than a mockery of the hallowed grounds below it?

If this story sounds familiar, it is. Though I respect and support private property, a certain level of decorum is expected when it comes to final resting places and battlefields. I don't support Walmarts being built atop historic Civil War battlefields, I don't support etching mile high monuments on sacred lands stolen from sovereign tribes, and I cannot support a super-mosque being constructed at ground zero.

As ludicrous as my title story (false as it may be) is, the idea that sacred land can be so easily defiled is the true lunacy to which we are all witness in this mad world in which we live.

5 comments:

  1. I'm crestfallen - your story is a hoax? So we won't have a monument to the brave Japanese airman who initiated a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor?

    WHY NOT?

    It doesn't make sense that we can't be tolerant in this regard. I am also pushing the Souix to erect a monument to General Custer and the brave soldiers of the Seventh US Cavalry at Wounded Knee. The tribal council hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I anticipate their response any day.

    I've also written to the Knesset in Jerusalem, urging them to erect a statue to the fallen Nazis in the World War Two as a gesture toward hope, change and reconciliation. I thought that the Nazi monument should be immediately adjacent to the wailing wall so that present day neo-Nazis could visit the site and weep for members of the SD who fell.

    As you can see, I'm becoming a liberal.

    HOPE AND CHANGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL - a wonderful addition to my satirical post! be careful, thinking like a liberal has been known to cause brains to leap out of cranial cavities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story, and great point. I can't wait for the Japanese monument on Attu to commemorate the brave soldiers who died trying to capture U.S. soil.

    Oh, wait. They already built it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I try to imagine what the people who fought and won World War II would think if they could have seen the future of their society - only to find it in such cultural decay now. The look of shocked disbelief on their faces could not begin to convey their disgust for the effeminate sensibilities of liberals who are clumsily trying to defend religious liberty for the first time ever in their miserable lives. Like everything else these ass-clowns have tried while running the show, they've botched it completely.

    As for your wonderful example, Steve, all I can say is that if someone had tried to commit such a brazen act of sedition and provocation in the faces of America after WWII - they would have been torn to pieces on the spot...and no charges would have been filed against anyone. Ahhh...those were the days....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked very much the blog
    I'm Brazilian artist and I hope
    you enjoy my blog and culture
    Brazilian publish it if you can get to
    will ...

    WWW.AARTEDENEWTONAVELINO.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete