Tuesday, February 5, 2008

West Virginia Results - Thoughts - 2nd Round of Counting

Huckabee had a strong performance in West Virginia, but Romney faired better at the convention's first round count:

Romney: 464 - 41%
Huckabee: 375 - 33%
McCain: 176 - 16%
Paul: 118 - 10%

89 Delegates seperated Huckabee and Romney.

I have edited this post, because I was not previously aware that a candidate must win more than 50% of the delegates to win the state. Therefore, there is a second round of counting taking place, and a shuffle of delegates. There are promises and favors being flung this way and that at the convention as Huckabee and Romney delegates attempt to win the Ron Paul support and the John McCain support. McCain is still included in the second round, but because Paul was seen as non viable, his delegates must vote for one of the other three.

For starters, I feel like an idiot. I was unaware of the majority rule. I was starting to look at the state as a Huckabee loss.

The big question I must now pose is if the state recounts come in too late, will the winner of the early vote state get any sort of bounce?

No comments:

Post a Comment