Happy Birthday, Mr Lincoln. Though I am not such a fan as other Republicans, your resolution of the Civil War has had a lasting affect on these United States.
However, there is no time to celebrate.
The Economic Stimulus, Lincoln's Birthday, and a Plummeting DJIA are all important in their own rights, however, are acting as distractions to some nasty happenings in the United States.
First is H.R. 45 (Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009). It requires, within the first two years, that all new guns be registered. The bill goes retroactive after two years. Meaning that two years after the passage of the bill, ALL FIREARMS in a citizen's possession must be registered, not just those purchased after the bill passes, and this apparently applies to antique firearms as well. Every five years the firearm owner must go through a complete renewal process for each weapon owned. Failure to comply carries stiff penalties including confiscation of the firearms and jail time (penalties as high as ten years imprisonment in some cases). The bill also authorizes government searches without warrant, the creation of a federal bureaucracy to monitor firearm possession, etc.
**The Bill Prohibits:
1. Transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions;
2. Licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act;
3. Failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours;
4. Failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days;
5. Keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.
**Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act. Directs the Attorney General to:
1. Establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse;
2. Conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and
3. Collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer. Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.
The bill is being reworked to attract co-sponsors, but it is the very type of law that Obama would gladly sign - see my previous post on the Heller decision under an Obama Court.
Secondly, The Civil war brewing in Mexico is beginning to spill over into the United States - target Phoenix. Phoenix AZ has become the target of Mexico City style ransom kidnap attacks - the tactic preferred by Mexican drug lords/warlords... drug violence, which is fueling unrest in the Latin American country is now being imported across our failed southern border - and there is nothing being done to stop it. With the drug demand in the United States being the fuel for the fire in Mexico, it is not surprising that the violence associated with the war follow the supply. Is Martial Law on the horizon for the border states?