Thursday, December 2, 2010

Curtis Brower - An American Hereo, A Best Friend

I received a call on Tuesday Night, about 10:30 from an unknown number. I picked up the phone and my heart sank when I heard the voice of my best friend's sister. My best friend of 18 years was killed when an SUV cut in front of his motorcycle making a left turn into a shopping center.

Curtis and I met in Jr. High School afterschool basketball. We became instant best friends. We had a bond that was stronger than family, and I had no problem telling him how much I loved him - regardless of who saw or heard. He knew things about me that no one else knows, and we had such a strong bond of comraderie that nothing ever got in our way, be it extended overseas missions in the Navy, or a tour in Afghanistan.

Curtis was the type of guy that lit up the room. He was alwyas smiling, and always put others before him. He was a hugger, and standing about 6'2" with bear claw hands, you were going to get a squeeze. He was a cook on Navy Submarines and loved the joy of food! He made cooking seem effortless, and we often talked of retiring together in the future to open a dinner bar - Decrescendo's, where you could enjoy some fine dining and piano mood music...

He loved his family and his country. He was in the room at the birth of my first child, and now my second child is due any day now. It breaks my heart that he will never get to watch my children grow, and they will never get to see how happy a true best friend can make their dad. Instead, my two year old daughter gave me a hug and told me it was ok, and that I am crying because I miss my friend Uncle Curtis.

I have lived an lost, but this one cuts deeper than anything I've experienced. On Tuesday night I lost a piece of myself.


Curtis Brower. You are loved, and you will be dearly missed.

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts & prayers will be with you & his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss! Friends like this are few and far between. It is wonderful that you had such a friendship, it is heartbreaking that he's gone ahead of you. You, your family, and Curtis's family will be in my prayers. May your heart find its place in the joy of the memories of a beautiful friendship as you walk through the vale of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog.

    Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

    I follow your blog and I like your way of posting.

    I am very much interested in adding http://stevenmnielson.blogspot.com/ in my blog http://the-american-history.blogspot.com/.

    I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

    I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

    Hope to see a positive reply.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

    Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss and his families. Went through a simialr situation a few weeks ago. Good luck and carry on, you will get through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that I met Curtis when I was in the military. He was actually my neighbor and we became very good friends. One of the coolest and most genuine people Ive ever met. So sad to know hes gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the pleasure of serving with Curtis in the Navy when we were stationed aboard the Submarine USS Asheville. He was a great sailor and will be missed by many. We once took a trip to Canada with another group of friends from the Asheville where he ran into a girl that he went to Enumclaw High School with. That girl(Angela Noser) is now my wife of 7 years and none of that would have happened if he hadn't been there that night. Thank You Curtis for your service and friendship. Our prayers are with his family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this, Steve.

    Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescant in pace. Amen.

    ReplyDelete